Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hamilton - A Space for Imagination

A friend recently recorded a cover of Willy Wonka's "Pure Imagination" song, and for the first time in years, the lyrics meant something to me.  I was wandering out in the city with the tune playing on my ipod and couldn't help but see Hamilton as my own little paradise.

Look and Listen...


Willy Wonka: 
[Spoken] 
Hold your breath 
Make a wish 
Count to three 

[Sung] 
Come with me 
And you'll be 
In a world of 
Pure imagination 
Take a look 
And you'll see 
Into your imagination 

We'll begin 
With a spin 
Traveling in 
The world of my creation 
What we'll see 
Will defy 
Explanation 

If you want to view paradise 
Simply look around and view it 
Anything you want to, do it 
Wanta change the world? 
There's nothing 
To it 

There is no 
Life I know 
To compare with 
Pure imagination 
Living there 
You'll be free 
If you truly wish to be...


  


2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    This has nothing to do with your post above, but I couldn't find any means to personally message you!

    Today, I read your article in the Urbanicity and I thought I would connect you with a local Hamilton artist called Leslie Furness. Her artwork very much relates to the idea of monogamy, marriage, and relationships. I would love to our McMaster's Graduating Studio Art Exhibit at McMaster Museum of Art (Apri 12-28) which features her artwork dealing wih this topic. If you come to the Artist talk on April 18th from 12:30-1:30 pm, you'll probably be able to talk to Leslie in person! She's got so much life stories concerning this issue that she would most likely love to share!

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna,
    I regret that I am so long overdue in responding to your note. Thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps we could still arrange a get together of sorts?! Please let me know if Leslie has anymore shows coming up.
    Sincerely,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete